Its Christmas time! and nothing to start it like the classic eggnog. This version is without alcohol as there will anyway be plenty to drink around.
Virgin EggnogIts Christmas time! and nothing to start it like the classic eggnog. This version is without alcohol as there will anyway be plenty to drink around.Anju Purushot
2 1/4 Cups
2 3/4 Cups
Cinnamon or Nutmeg to garnish
- Separate the Egg Yolks & the whites
- reserve 1/4 cup of the sugar. With the other parts of Sugar , whisk the yolks and the sugar until texture becomes creamy.
- Add 1/2 cup of the heavy cream and 1 cup of the milk to this mixture and stir well.
- Place the bowl in a pan with simmering water and keep stirring continuously for 6 minutes. Take off stove and chill this mixture well.
- Take the egg whites and beat them until soft peaks form. Add the 1/4 cup reserved sugar to this and beat well until stiff peaks form and the cream ribbons (check picture). In a separate bowl, beat about 1/2 cup of the heavy cream.
- Fold the egg white into the cream and refrigerate
- Take out the egg yolk mixture which is well chilled and add the remaining milk , Vanilla Extract and cream to the mixture. Stir well and chill again.
- Egg nog is best served cold, if you can help it then wait until the next morning. Pour the egg yolk mixture first and top with the egg white mix. Sprinkle with the nutmeg or cinnamon.
- Merry Christmas!
- P.S : if you want this done as the traditional alcohol filled eggnog, simply at the second last step, remove 3/4 cup of milk and 3/4 cup of cream. Instead add 1 cup of bourbon or whisky and 1/4 cup of rum and refrigerate
- P.P.S: Some people might not like the taste of Egg Whites. Simply omit the step of adding it and serve just the yolk mix